What is the 15 Steps?
“I can tell what kind of care my daughter is going to get within 15 Steps of walking on to a ward”, said a mum whose daughter was regularly admitted to hospital due to an ongoing health condition.
Based on the ethos of teamwork within MVPs, the 15 Steps toolkit is a new method which looks at maternity services from the perspective of those who use them. It explores their first impressions of care, their surroundings and the overall experience across their maternity journey.
How does the 15 Steps for Maternity work?
- The MVP agrees a time to do the 15 Steps
- The MVP facilitates small teams made up of a recent user, a provider staff member and one other; could be a commissioner or trust board member
- Each small team visits maternity settings to get a ‘feel’ for the environment and care provided there, using the Observation Guides as a prompt
- Initial thoughts are provided to the staff member responsible for that setting
- Findings discussed and any actions agreed either when the small teams re-gather or during a regular MVP meeting.
Introduction to the toolkit and what it can help you to achieve.