National Maternity Voices is the national group of Maternity Voices Partnership service user chairs in England.
A Maternity Voices Partnership (MVP) is a team of women, commissioners and providers (midwives and doctors) working together to review and contribute to the development of local maternity care.
National Maternity Voices aims to support service user chairs of Maternity Voices Partnerships and to promote awareness of good practice in setting up and developing MVPs among commissioners of maternity services in England to ensure:
- Every woman on the maternity pathway has a chance to have her voice heard about the service she is receiving through an MVP
- Every MVP is adequately resourced to engage in true co-production of maternity services
- Local MVP chairs and service user members feel networked and supported in their role
- MVPs are involved in work in their local communities but also represented at Local Maternity System (LMS) level
Maternity Voices Partnerships (MVPs) are an innovative development based on an updating of Maternity Services Liaison Committees (MSLCs). NHS England commissioning guidance on MVPs was published on 28th March 2017 – see Chapter 4 and Appendix B for MVPs.
“Working together is really energising, and whilst of course it takes organising and time, it does deliver great results!”
Kath Evans, Experience of Care Lead, Maternity, Infants, Children & Young People, NHS England – see her introduction to the ‘MVP toolkit’ here
We run a forum on Facebook for MVP/MSLC chairs (along with MSLC chairs from Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales). Service user reps are welcome in the forum. We share news & ideas for co-design and service improvement, supporting each other with everything from
- ‘how do you do walk the patch or a Mother’s Voices event?’ to
- ‘what is the guideline where you are on pre-labour rupture of membranes?’ to
- ‘how can we compare our local maternity dashboard to national data?’
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the online forum.
Healthcare professional & commissioner members as well as service user members do please follow us on Twitter @NatMatVoicesorg #MatVoices and we will post news for all MVP members here on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/NationalMaternityVoices/